Search This Blog

Sunday 9 August 2015

BATH TIME BRINGS OUT THE INNER CHILD

Here's a cartoon I knocked out quite quickly after hearing Tom Savini explain about the ending of the very first FRIDAY THE 13TH .

After seeing a similar shock tactic used at the climax of Carrie (the hand bursting out of the grave) It was Tom himself who came up with the suggestion of having little Jason leap out of the water and grab the lady on the lake.
Friday the 13th  was one of the first ever 'modern' horror films I'd had the chance to experience since the late night Universal Monster stomped, flapped and bound across my television , now those films of old were big on atmosphere, possessed a sense of creepiness and had roles filled with fine established actors, they had an air of worthiness about them.   FRIDAY the 13 was a world apart from what I was used to -  fraught with tension and graphic kills this film frayed my nerves , it was a roller coaster and  the end with the unexpected  lunge out of the lake turned out to be a cardiac arrest worthy fright. Misters Frankenstein, Dracula or the Wolfman never repaid me for sitting through their movies with a punch in the heart like Jason Voorhees managed.

 Of course there's NO way that a drowned boy could actually live under the lake, so what actually happened?  The physiological stresses of the nights on Alice had caused the hallucination,  it was all Alice's traumatised head as bore witness by the cops who attend and found no boy.
As the Friday13 series isn't strong on a sense of continuity we were treated to the full blown Jaze stalking through the many sequels without a valid explanation for his existence....but I for one don't care about that little technicality I just enjoyed the follow up movies just as much as the first because Jason was my introduction to the new wave of slasher films and as such he holds a special place in my shaken up heart.



Proof, it's not only blood baths that Jason enjoys! 



When Tom first looked through my little Moleskine sketch pad he was really taken by some of the drawings in there and to my delight started to rummage around in his bag for a long long time desperately trying to find his camera to take some photos, but as he couldn't lay his hands on his camera he kindly wrote his email in the back pages and asked me to email him some copies of the drawings.
So the next time I saw him I gave him a copy of this newly drawn cartoon as a thanks for making me feel so flattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment