Search This Blog

Monday 14 April 2014

AFTER EARTH

monster art, drawing, after earth, si-fi movie M.Night Shyamalan  monster alien beast
URSA is latin for bear
I didn't expect much from this movie but when i finally got around to watching  AFTER EARTH, I loved it! The entertainment value and thrills I got from this motivated me to do this drawing of the stand-off with the dreaded URSA - in case you were wondering about the above drawing that  Jayden Smiths pose isn't reactive to his situation it's all in the storyline that if you master your fear you're invisible to the creature , he cant sense you.   ( Its called ghosting. )
Fabulously  entertaining and inventive stuff and at the end  as the credits rolled I discovered that the director was none other than  M. Night Shyamalan.

The general consensus seems to be of hatred for this movie and that the Tom Cruise si-fi outing OBLIVION is superior,  yet I honestly found that flick tedious and boring.
 A quick trawl of the internet reveals that critics universally slated AFTER EARTH and seem to  gleefully wish  box office death upon it,  from what I can gauge its mainly because of Mr Shyamalan association  with this project.  I loved this film and so I find this puzzling backlash unwarranted and unfair.

 I never realised it was M. Night Shyamalan at the helm, but it was one of the better movie nights in our house and really thats what it boils down to entertainment value, thinking back I have to give credit where credit be due and truthful we've been thrilled amazed, enthralled and gripped  in generous amounts by his previous films   SIGNS, THE SIXTH SENSE, THE HAPPENING  and even THE VILLAGE. ( I wont mention Last Airbender....nor Lady in the Lake! )
....
So in support of this movie a big hooray goes out  from this corner of the blogverse , and  I'm also gonna stick my neck out and say that if I wasn't me then I would have liked to be M.Night Shyamalan - such is my admiration for his work in fact I was convinced that he was going to make foil hats the next big fashion hit.

Its a big thumbs up from me for this movie and tin foil hats.
 

4 comments:

  1. This drawing alone is making me want to see the film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah please do.
    Go give it a watch - I saw it again a few days ago and still enjoyed it all over again, however most people I spoke with found it unexciting, but there again I do seem to favour jungle trek movies.

    I adored the organic design to the space ship in this nay a straight line in sight. Great tech and logical creature evolution too - I understand that the design production team worked out the developments a 1000 years forward and backward to the timeline of this movie.

    Beside I found to the USLA to be the best space monster to come along for some time..heck if the PREDATOR was pitched against it , I'm certain that even he'd sweat some!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie. I didn't know Shamilan was involved. But I like everything he's done. I think any fault falls on the uneven performance of Jaden Smith. I know this movie was Will Smith's baby, but Jaden is not experienced enough to pull off his character. As a father, if I were at the top of the "A List" actors, I'm sure I would try to help my kid too. Jaden just doesn't have the talent to pull off this roll.

    ReplyDelete